The Hone Operator is responsible for setting up and running all honing equipment.
Education and Experience
Position requires high school diploma and 5 plus years experience.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responsible for all activities involving fabricating, inspecting, deburring parts for capital equipment machinery.
- Computes with machine indexing and settings for specified dimension and base reference points.
- Studies blue prints, work orders, and/or machining instructions to determine product dimensions, tooling, and to plan operational sequence.
- Ensures equipment is turned off when not in use.
- Sets up and operates horizontal manual hones, horizontal automatic strokers, vertical strokers.
- Sets and adjusts speed, feeds and depth of cut to machine parts to specifications set forth in blueprints and drawings.
- Verfies starting materials are adequate prior to beginning to work.
- Responsible for quality of the finished product or services outlined above.
- Make recommendations, as needed, to other machinists as to possible solutions to machining problems.
- Will conduct first article inspections on all parts and operations being performed in the machine shop.
- Will conduct in-process inspections to verify that all quality standards are being maintained.
- Will be required to deburr, polish, assemble, and perform other various machine operations.
- Will work from drawings and use hand grinders and common hand tools to grind and polish a variety of parts to meet contour, size, and finish requirements.
- Move incoming/outgoing material within the department.
- Requires accurate and detailed measuring methods to accomplish tasks.
- Ensures equipment is in appropriate working condition prior to operating.
- Repair issues are addressed through inspections and with the direct Supervisor.
- Assist in correcting identified discrepancies as needed.
- Adheres to all Company safety rules and safe work practices.
- Maintains regular attendance and excellent punctuality.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Works overtime as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required To Perform the Essential Job Functions:
- Knowledge of Honing machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Basic reading, writing, and some advanced arithmetic skills required.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics.
- Experience using one or more of the following tools: Lathe, milling machine, drill press, and vertical/horizontal cut off saw.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to establish a plan and accomplish goals.